July 21, 2009

Single, Engaged, Married...repeat as necessary.

When D and I got engaged one of my bridesmaids gave me wonderful advice when I was contemplating about what kind of wedding to have,"make your first wedding count." Going into marriage, I don't think that anyone thinks that it won't last (I'm not talking about the
"marry for green card" weddings). This weekend two of my very dear friends proposed. Obviously, the girls said, "yes". Does anyone ever say no? Either way, I wish both couples a lifetime of love,understanding and happiness together in good health.

Another friend of mine was proposed to on the 3rd date. Are we getting engaged for the right reasons? Do we unconditionally love our partners? Is unconditional love even possible? Do we choose significant others based on our compatibility or incompatibility? Is it social compatibility or mental or physical? Do we get engaged because it's time to settle down? Do we settle? What's settling? Isn't being with one person for the rest of your life settling? If you wait forever, won't you die alone?

--
Sent from my mobile device

1 comment:

  1. OK let me gather my thoughts for a second.

    1. Thank You for the warm wishes.

    2. I will not attempt to answer all of your questions because there are simply way to many and answering them will just raise more, but I will say this. When thinking about all this try to remember that a lot of our parents dated anywhere from 3 days to 3 months and have now lived 40+ years together happilly. Whhat does that really say? Are we spoiled by todays times and are dragging along because we are waiting for a better offer or are we more cautios because there are so many families falling appart around us. I don't think we can answer these questions but we owe it to ourselves to try to do what our parents have done and that is the following: Our parents didn't quit when the going got tough but rather came together through the tough times to ensure there are better times ahead.

    Like someone said during a toast this weekend "When you get into an argument or a fight and you start to wonder if this is all worth it. Remember that you married this person because it was worth it.

    I'm not going to bother to spell check because I have a shitload of work to do, but it is nice to see you back on your blog.

    ReplyDelete