January 26, 2010

Шереметьево - JFK: 17 years ago, today.

As hard as it was, life was simpler then - for me anyway, I was 9. I was a kid full of hopes, dreams and a promise of a bright future. I remember a lot of things about our voyage because I've always been very impressionable and even more sentimental. I remember waking up on a cot completely surrounded by suitcases and huge bags (баулы). There was a lot of scurrying since everyone was already up. It was about 4 am. All of a sudden there were a lot of people taking bags and bringing them out of our 3rd floor apartment - the only home I've known until that point and the only place I've really ever felt at home (now that I think about it). There were even more people in our yard all waiting their turn to say their goodbyes. I remember leaving and a strange guy ripping out our beautiful hardwood floor which my mom managed to sell for a few dollars.

We got to the train terminal (what's it called in English? station?) (The same one that they shot in Everything is Illuminated, yes that's L'vov) and we boarded the train. I remember being in the suite (is that how you say it?) with mama and grandma and the three of us hysterically crying and my dad running in with a grin and yelling at us for crying. As the train moved, the crowd of familiar and strange faces just burst into "proschay lubimiy gorod," a song which has made me cry since the day I realized we'd be leaving my beloved L'vov.

We got to Moscow and there things got blurry. I remember being afraid of wearing my gold earrings since they may rip them off with my ear and later (after passing security) telling my mom I could've put "all the gold" in my pockets since they didn't check me. The "gold" is probably worth $500, if that. I remember them searching us like we were trying to smuggle worldly possessions out of what was no longer the USSR. A bag with coins (specifically collected for calls) somehow fell into one of our huge bags and they had to completely unpack it (read: dishevel it). A suitcase which was specifically sent by my sister from the US to meet the size requirements, didn't and we were fined $100. That $100 is probably the equivalent of $10,000 or maybe even $100,000 for us today. Unlike many people, we didn't sell our apartment, because there was yet no privatization in L'vov. On the contrary, we had to pay them to leave two beautiful apartments, one at the city center and ours with complete capital improvements (and now, without parquet floors). We didn't have gold or money - we came with sheets and towels and pots and pans that can probably last us another 17 years.

Somehow, we finally passed security and boarded the chartered plane heading to NY. Because of my grandmother's heart condition, the plane was full of old and sick people. During the flight, when my dad (who hasn't been on a plane since that journey) took me to walk around a bit, I saw things that have stayed so imprinted on my young mind that to this day they give me chills. There were beds suspended from the ceiling. And religious men in black hats (not a common sight in Ukraine) were praying. There were all kinds of crippled people. It was scary.

We landed. It was a sunny and beautiful New York morning. It was about 50-60 degrees (yesterday's weather but with sun instead of rain) and I remember thinking to myself, it must always be warm here. It seemed wondrous and wonderful. I was ecstatic to see my sister and couldn't stop hugging her! She looked great in her purplish/pink shirt with a black zipper and curly (then still dark) hair. I think she had flowers, or maybe balloons and my dad yelled at her for spending money. As Dyadya Monya drove us to Bensonhurst (we stayed with my uncle and grandma for 3 weeks) the ride on the Belt with the sun beaming and the water glistening seemed surreal, warm and wonderful. I've never since enjoyed that road like that again, having made the trip probably 1,000+ times. I had on rose-colored glasses of both childhood and innocence as well as the expectation of a better life for my family.

I'm glad we're here, but I don't know that it's a better life. I think I've blogged about it before, immigration was extremely difficult on our family. Hardship after hardship followed. Yes, good things happened too, but it's hard to concentrate on that, especially now. Шереметьево - JFK: 17 years ago today, the day my childhood ended. Now, starting the 18th without mama, 7 without grandma Mira and the 2nd without Zilpa. How I wish I could be on the Belt in my rose-colored glasses.

-
Sent from my mobile device

12 comments:

  1. Immigration, stressful time, Brings back a lot of memories. Glad we are here and not there, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad we are here, but sometimes you wonder how different your life might have been . . .

    If my family wouldn't have come to the states, we would've went to Israel and every time I'm in Israel, I wonder . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't wonder. Everything in life turns out how it's supposed to. It may not always be fair, but it happens for a reason

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree.

    i.e. Yes, me losing my job happened for a reason.

    What is the reason my mom got sick? What is the reason she's gone? What is the reason there hasn't been a day that she's gone that I haven't cried. There's no f**ing reason for anything, let alone everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passing through, and found your site.

    I love stories like this. My family also immigrated to the U.S., although now they have retired and are back in my country.

    I think of immigrants as pioneers, searching for a better life, and working hard every day to make their dreams come true, while sacrificing all the things that are important: comfort, support, and family.

    True, the lives of immigrants are not easy, but the road to success never is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may not know a reason right away, but its there. But then again, what the hell do I know

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ ♥nova-san,

    Thank you for your comment, just briefly looked at your profile and it could've easily been mine. I took a quick look at your blogs and was pleasantly to surprised to find out that I'm not the only one that photographs Starbucks cups.

    No, immigration is never easy and immigrants do work harder. This entire country was built on the shoulders of immigrants. Sometimes, it's just interesting to look back and reflect and be amazed at how much you remember.

    @ Euge,

    Certain things aren't meant to be known and there's isn't (unfortunately) an answer to every question. Believe me, I keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too, I keep searching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally a post worth commenting on. While I also remember my family's immigration to the US I look back on that experience with rather fond memories. Yes there was a point when I wondered what could have been but I have since grown older and wiser. After doing a bit of traveling, reading, and observing I have come to realize that there is no better country to live in. Yes it may seem that some other places are so much better but that is the same feeling you felt on the Belt, it's a sense of wonder of being in place you haven't been or at least haven't been to for a long time. So it helps to have a sober look at the reality of things.

    As for things that happen for a reason or without. While it's hard to believe that everything happens for a reason or that there is some sort of master plan that sees that everything happens one way or another, I do think that you have to consider some of the things that have happened and see how it has played out in the long run and in most cases you will find that it was for the best. In the end not everything is fair and as angry as you still are, life is not about what's fair it's about the experience and what you take away from it bee it good or bad.

    I am in a rush so this has turned into a giant mess but maybe you can make some sense of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woland, thanks for that honest remark. You're right, much of my blabbering lately has been just that - psychobabble. As you well know and probably understand, I'm a real mess of emotion generally, and especially now. Nonetheless, this was a post even I am particularly proud of. I am proud of how much I remember. As another friend of mine would say, "Я не злопамятный — я просто злой и память у меня хорошая."

    I agree, I think that we made the best of what we could here and it is a great country we live in. The things that make me wonder is the severed relationships with people you love. My parents had a life there. They had friends, jobs in their fields. They were somebody. Especially with my mom's sickness, they had none of that here. Many of their closest friends are in Israel. My mom's entire side of the family is there and that's what makes me wonder - not that my life would've been necessarily better or worse, but different.

    How do you measure your quality of life? By the material possessions or by the people that you're surrounded by? I choose the latter. Unfortunately many of these people are an ocean away. I gave up on fairness and looking for reasons the day my mom was taken from me. So you grin, bear it and pray for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand why you wonder and if you go over your blog I think you will find the answer.

    If your family was to move the Israel the outcome is slightly forseeable:

    1. Your parent's would still start from scratch and loose their respective positions form the homeland.

    2. Unfortunately a decease is a decease no matter where so I'm sorry to say this but I am afraid your mom would still be sick.

    3. You mention your parents friends and family, but if you ended up in Israel you would not have your family a different husband and very different friends.

    So the question is how would life be different without YOUR friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I apologize for the delayed response. I'm not saying that my life would've been better or that certain things wouldn't have happened regardless. All I am saying is that I sometimes wonder how it would be different - not better, not worse, different.

    I am very thankful for everything that I do have and the people in my life. However, there are people that are very close to me that are an ocean away and I wish we were closer so that we could interact more frequently, that's all.

    ReplyDelete