May 14, 2010

"My karma ran over your dogma"

Lately, I've become a big believer in karma and positive energy and the whole "what comes around goes around" business. Yet, no matter how hard I try everything I come near turns to sh*t. (I apologize, I'm not a fan of profanity on my blog, but couldn't find a fitting synonym). So anyway, back to The Secret of positive thinking.  For starters, it's really not a secret - think good thoughts, believe your good thoughts and when you have bad thought, turn them around and all good things are yours.  Sounds simple, but to me it's simply impossible.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with the premise and even reading fiction like The Lost Symbol, for example, strengthens that conviction.  In lament's terms - good attracts good, bad attracts bad, but how do you get out of the bad mindset?  My manicurist tells me what works is to just simply concentrate on whatever it is you're doing, typing a blog post, manicure, driving a car, eating, don't get carried away with your thoughts.  It's funny, because only the negative thoughts seem to carry.  We rarely dwell on something positive. 

I'd like to think that I'm a good person that cares deeply around those around me.  I usually put others before myself, but rarely feel the same in return.  I share (or at the very least try) in everyone's (that's close to me) happiness and disappointments.  I always try to go above and beyond, because I believe that you either do it right or you don't do it at all.  Nobody has yet gotten upset at me for not returning a call, text or email.  I remember birthdays.  This is beginning to sound very self-validating and it's my blog so it can be, but why doesn't this positive karma boomerang back? How do you turn it all around?  The ageless wisdom of "do onto others . . ."


I got stuck in my not-so-positive thoughts, so some "wisdom" on the topic:

“Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens.” - Carrie Bradshaw, SATC

“Sometimes skulls are thick.
Sometimes hearts are vacant.
Sometimes words don't work.” -James Frey quotes
“The human body can bear immeasurable pain and yet recover. Wounds can heal. But once your spirit is broken, everything falls apart.” -Palden Gyatso
“Miranda: Maybe it's time that I stop being so angry.
Carrie: Yeah, but what would you do with all your free time?”
-SATC
“Despite the fact that there are over eight million people on the island of Manhattan, there are times you still feel shipwrecked and alone." -SATC
Can you tell I'm a huge fan of SATC? Can't wait for the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment