February 4, 2008

Denial

Truth is a virtue, while lying is a sin. Yet, somehow most of us lie. Some are pathological liars, but generally we lie to (instead of with) people we love. Foremost, we lie to ourselves. We, as people, have an innate ability to believe what we want to believe and listen to only what we want to hear. We always blame others for our own wrongdoings or better yet we place a halo around those who seldom deserve it.

We lie to our parents about where we are going and with whom, so that they wouldn't worry. We lie to our friends about our grades or education in order to seem smarter. We lie to our significant others to protect them. In the end, we are only lying to our innermost self - we live in a state of denial, blaming everyone for what we ourselves don't want to believe, for a mess we always create with our own hands, though often unconsciously.

Writing all of this I can't get this saying out of my head - "and still despite evrything, I truly believe that people are realy good at heart" - written by Anne Frank at the age of about 16 while hiding out in a basement during WWII. I wish I was as optimistic as Anne, but then I wouldn't be the cynical me you all know and [love], writing a stupid blog post on the train back home from work, being in the worst mood ever!



* * *

Living in a State of Denial,
On an Avenue of Blame
You took my hand in passion
And now, I am in shame

I thought it'd all be over,
But lying never stops
My life may not be over
My feelings, raindrops

Scattered everywhere
I call out a prayer
But noone hears me now
I'm too far gone. . .

1 comment:

  1. House tells Wilson, "There's a reason everybody lies. It works. It allows society to function. It's what separates man from beast."
    "Oh. I thought that was our thumbs.... I'm sorry I missed rehearsals. Am I taking the 'Truth is Good' side? Don't you usually take that?"

    ReplyDelete