July 23, 2008

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I live in NY and riding on a rush-hour commuter train when I'm trying to finish an amazing novel, everyone is extremely loud and incredibly close. September 11 touched everyone that lives in NY (and beyond), similarly to WWII touching every Jew (and other). Jonathan Safran
Foer's second novel encompasses both. More importantly, it touches a human heart. It asks (and sometimes answers) questions of love, of life, of beauty, of loneliness, of darkness, of death, of loss, of family.

Having read two novels by Mr. Foer and one by his wife, Nicole Krauss, I must admit that there's a similarity in their writing - using different voices to project events from different angles, at different times, with different backgrounds, ages, sexes, etc. What touched me the most, however is the dedications of the two novels, which I read were written at the same time:

"To Jonathan, my life"
"For Nicole, my idea of beautiful"

That's love. Or maybe that's life. Or maybe I'm still too idealistic as much as I hate to admit it. Or maybe I just love a good book.

Sent from Gmail for mobile mobile.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment