April 23, 2009

Shoegasms

I love shoes, duh! I love all kinds of shoes - flats, pumps, boots, mules, sandals, wedges, peep-toe, closed-toe, d'Orsay and even flip-flops. After many years and much more dollars, euros and other foreign currencies - I have a few pre-requisites for any shoes that I actually buy. First of all, they have to look hot and more importantly (regardless of how hot, they look, a lesson worth learning) they must be comfortable. I have a collection of uncomfortable beautiful shoes that cost a small fortune. This doesn't work. Moreover, (if you've got a fat wallet, this doesn't apply, but for us bargain savvy girls) the shoe should be timeless. Yes, trends are great, but you don't want to discard a $400 shoe after one season. I have shoes from 5 years ago
that when worn out still receive compliments. The key is originality - the Tory Burch flat with the gold (or silver) emblem doesn't fly. I have a pair of Tory Burch flats that were bought because I needed flats but they are straw with a white beaded flower and the only way to see the Tory emblem is to make me take off the shoe.

Don't be afraid of color. You have a black closet, I'm sure. We've all taken up the new diet of wearing black, so let your feet have some fun! Buy green boots, orange Jimmy Choos and red pumps. You can dress up any boring, I mean classic black outfit. Pair it with a charming bag and you're set! Remember accessories are key. Better pair an H&M top with Manolos and a Louis Vuitton, then a Gucci dress with Steve Madden pumps. Get my drift?

There's a saying that "men who design women's shoes should be forced to wear them." Well, there are quiet a few men that know what a woman's foot should feel like. A few of my favorite men include Gianmarco, Jimmy and Manolo. There are still plenty of men I'd love to meet, but in my high-heeled practice of the last decade those are pretty solid investments. Not all shoes will be comfortable for everyone. Someone has a wide foot, someone has a high arch, someone has a long toe, etc. Shoes, should be a representation of the different sides of your personality and therefore compliment YOU. If you have a hammer toe, please don't wear sandals. Same goes for unpedicured feet. A pedicure doesn't mean polish on your toes, ladies! A larger calf shouldn't give rise to a muffin top of your sexy boot and please, please wear shoes your size. Celebrities get free samples and they may be off a half or a full size, but if you're buying a $500 shoe, buy your own size! Too big is no better than too small and if it just doesn't fit, keep looking, there are many more shoes in the pond.

Unfortunately, my long time favorite shoe-store, Petit Peton recently closed (with a pair of my boots). I had a shoegasm almost every time I was there including my last purchase there of Giuseppe (another good man) pumps, boots and a pair of Luca boots. Maybe I'm getting Carried Away (pun intended), but I sure do love my shoes. Sigh. In my preliminary packing, I'm down to 10 pairs (flip-flops not included), what's a girl to do? Sigh. You see what you started???


--
Sent from my mobile device

7 comments:

  1. was this brainstorm caused by our recent conversation? if so I am so glad :)
    i totally agree on all the shoe points but now I feel like I am missing out on a shoegasm.
    See what you started?!?

    :)
    Love the green ones ;)
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well duh, this is what you started!!! the green ones are the ones I bought while you were busy having drinks last Thurs! :-)

    I wish Shoegasm wasn't an actual store (with ugly, cheap shoes) . . . oh well, http://alla-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/01/ya-uzhe-kupila.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like reading your fashion related stories, especially about shoes. i have very different definition of comfort but it is a lovely reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this post made me smile =) Not that I can wear heels anytime soon what with my deranged knees and all, but what would you say are the most comfortable high heeled shoes, from your experience.

    Comfortable = little pain and little falling over potential =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. why is it that my shoe related blurbs get more attention than the serious one? Yes, I'm a self-proclaimed shoeaholic, but can I only write interestingly about shoes? hmmm . . . .

    K - Top Three for me:

    Gianmarco Lorenzi (very hard to find in NY and my fave store that sold them recently closed).

    Manolo Blahnik (channeling Carry Bradshaw, but no I love them)and

    Jimmy Choo (but not all)

    Shoes are 95% of the time you get what you pay for, but in order to select a "perfect pair" they must be comfortable for your foot - the shape, the width, the hight, the arch, etc. For example, most round toe shoes (as great as they look) hurt my pinky, so while the arch and the hight are great, they kill me, you live you learn and buy more expensive shoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have a nice flow in your shoe posts. that is a good thing :) also the amount of comments is probably not very accurate measure of attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you that was very helpful
    I like all your posts but your shoe ones are very entertaining and instructive

    ReplyDelete