September 29, 2008

Something smart?

I don't know about you, but I am scared. We are living in very interesting times, my friends. While that can be said for any generation, this is 2008 and this is where we are. I am not proud to admit that I haven't been following the news half as much as I should, or at all, but I know that we are in the middle of a financial crisis and it is scary. When the Dow falls 770 points in one day it is frightening and you may think it doesn't affect you, but it does. It affects all of us. When financial giants go under, unemployment
skyrockets, inflation rises and interest falls, in an election year, nonetheless, the results aren't pretty. My 401(k) is down 10% and I realize that on the grand scheme of things it may be nothing, but my 401(k) is at a bank which was bought out by another bank for about a dollar a share. (Is that the going rate these days?)

There's two major issues that I have - (1) I want to vote. I think that each voice (collectively) makes a difference. There's nobody to vote for. Presidential candidates aren't running on merits of their political accomplishments or goals for the betterment of this country and planet. They are running on hidden agendas, the downfalls of their opponents and the money of lobbyists. Now, here's a bright idea - instead of spending all this money on your stupid campaign and bashing advertisements, pump it into the economy by building a school (or donating to one), provide homeless housing or prolong unemployment compensation in these troubled times. I am sure that such investments would be better for the community, the country and your campaign.

Politics is dirty. It has always been dirty. So is Wall Street. We all want to live the "American Dream" as Adam Smith had envisioned it, but we have to play fair. I am a strong proponent of Darwinism in economics, but I also stand by the 10 Commandments and just downright human decency to lend a "helping hand." Not all of are meant to be millionaires. Those that are, congratulations! But if you get to be a millionaire on everyone else's merits but your own, you may be considered a smart businessman, but a jackass in my book. I have a lot more respect for the self made people in this world then those that are born with a silver spoon. I also think it's great if you are born in a "red shirt" but learn the value of it. As usual, I digress.

Politics, economics all very controversial topics in which, I am by no means an expert. I can't even provide a truly educated opinion, because I am not truly educated in the subject matter. I, like with most posts on my blog, deliver it how I see it. I see that we are living in very interesting times and I am scared.

P.S. I just re-read my post and I can't remember issue # 2. When it comes to me, I'll blog because I like the flow and don't want to edit. That's my stop. Happy New Year!

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

1 comment:

  1. I think you will like Fountainhead ;-)

    And I agree...one of these candidates is spending a crapload of money to LOSE.

    A person who really cared about the economy would say, screw campaigning, people will vote for who they vote. I am going to help this country.


    In the end, this kind of move migth actually work in their favor.

    ReplyDelete